Take your first steps toward making your dream of flight a reality! Our Hang Gliding Discovery Course training experience will equip you with the introductory orientation, theory and hands-on skills needed to smoothly launch you to the next stage of your full hang gliding certification training, and inspire you that hang gliding is something you can do!
This course is usually only offered once per year as an intro to our training courses. For 2018 it will be on Saturday June 16. Please see our Facebook page to sign-up. Feel free to pay ahead of time on the website here or in person day-of. If you have missed it, please just email email@example.com with your desire and we will see if we hold another course later in the season (but it is unlikely until September at best)
- Gain a solid and informed understanding of the overall sport of hang gliding
- Become familiar with Instinct's training process
- Be better informed and motivated to follow one's dream of flight
- Become familiar with flying equipment, and how to setup and perform a preflight inspection on a glider
- Learn how to handle and manoeuver glider on ground and in wind
- Become oriented with standard safety measures and checklists
- Learn and practice glider control basics on control frame stand
- Learn and practice key principles on how to launch a hang glider
- Gain experience controlling the glider and practising launches on flat ground and small slopes
- One in-class session (2+ hours) which covers: overview/introduction to the sport of hang gliding, key learning principles and teaching methods, safety measures, and preparation for on-field glider training session
- One on-field glider training session (3 to 4 hours) which covers: equipment orientation, glider setup/inspection, safety checklists, control basics on simulator stand, ground manoevering and launch sequence basics, controlling (floating) the glider and practising launches on flat ground
- This is the first step to learning to hang glide SOLO and is the pre-requisite training to take to the skies in our Beginner Course!
- Voucher for a free video if you desire to take a tandem flight with us (a $25 value)
Requirements / Notes:
- Moderate physical condition - a fair amount of running/lifting is required during the on-field session
- Must be able to run with 50-70lb glider
- Ages: 14 to 80
- Must sign a waiver
- In-class session is required before attending on-field session.
- Note: This is an instructional-based experience specifically designed to most effectively and confidently start a full hang gliding flight training process. If you want to simply experience hang gliding for a one-time experience, we recommend you consider going for a tandem flight with us instead.